Tucson. We have a problem.

The sexy internet connected irrigation timer that I can control from my iPhone whilst standing in knee high in a ditch, had red lettering for Zone 5. For a while it had an "i" in a little triangle icon like you get on Windows stuff to suggest there is more information to be had. I couldn't find any additional information. Looked on the device. Looked on the phone. Looked on a real computer. In fact, Zone 5 did not even appear as a Zone on the phone or computer. Skipped from Zone 4 to Zone 6. Gone.

Zone 5 is for the trees and what-have-you (I can only hope Ann and Dan don't read this muse) outside the pergola. Zones are like children I suspect. They're all important, but this is an important Zone. Haul'n Otis had been BobCatting through the Zone 5 area. Had to, an access path goes down the middle of it. So. Being the conscientious husband, who is deathly afraid of the consequences of a plant failure on my watch, I wanted to be sure there was no collateral irrigation damage.

Turns out there was. But not in the way I was testing for. All the electronics are in an area not all that easily accessed by mankind, much less a crazed Otis on a BobCat. Unless this thing can tell a line is pinched. Which WOULD be impressive, but sadly unlikely. And, if a line is pinched, and it knows that, why not GO AHEAD AND TELL ME. Rather then just ignoring the Zone as if it never existed.

Calls have been made. Last update I had was the factory is accessing the timer. Bless the Internet. That was about 19.00 last night. No word since. Been a long night. I cried myself to sleep. A very sad thing when technology fails. Very sad.

On a happier note. Haul 'n Otis finished with the application of non-native stone on top of native stone. Still some concern about the crusher fines, but they look good. Probably got the guest parking a little narrow, but we were running low on rock. Otherwise looking good.

TFG finished the floors. Look great. But now I see all the dings and pits resulting from construction guys stepping on nails and what-not on the floor. And have some trowel marks along some of the joints. Add character I guess. The floor looks like leather. I could probably get a leather scent from the car wash and then we'd really have something... Had to get mats for all the entry points. Crusher fines tracked in and ground into the floor by ham fisted construction guys NOT a good thing.

Had a visit from a Tree Whisperer. Recommended by a friend of D of DnT as very good and a Tree Whisperer who likes a challenge. Turns out he used to live down the hill on the other side of the barrio. Took one look at Ann's dead tree and embraced the challenge. His vision sounded to me a whole lot like Ann's so that's good. He started visualizing cuts. I did my best to keep up.

One very clever idea as he while embracing the challenge, was to rough-up the cuts so they don't look like chain saw cuts. Look more natural. Then he wants to paint the cuts to match the gray of the tree. Excellent.

And, turns out his first available date is the day before the rainwater harvesting guys will be installing the cistern right behind said tree. So that's a good thing. And, SWITBO will be here to oversee the cisterning AND now the tree trimming. A very good thing.

Here are the pictures.

  • Note the Volvo (the one with the buttery soft leather) has taken residence, at least temporarily, in the guest parking. Tried out the driveway as well. Good fit.
  • And you will note furniture and stuff has been moved from the garage into the Quail Manor. Generally stuff is placed where we anticipate it will be in the fullness of time. The bed for the study/guest room remains under a pile of Ikea Kitchen that will begin to be unearthed starting Friday. There are some awful deck chairs we may have gotten as a wedding present some 34 years ago that have mostly never been used. Well, now I have a place to sit and enjoy Miller Time until we get real furniture. Even have a table upon which to rest things.
  • If you look carefully, there is a picture where I mocked up the mounding. 5 1/2" on the base and 4 1/2 inch on the casing. Just leaning against the wall, but wanted to get a sense of scale.
  • There is a picture of the garage roof. Lowly non-engineers may want to stop right here. The following is intended for the truly enlightened that appreciate a clever solution to a challenge. Note the attachment points for the solar panels. These things are a thing of aluminum and stainless steel beauty. During construction we installed blocking to accept the bolts that hold down the points. I guess they have to carry like a 200 mph wind load. Fortunately the Quail Manor is up to the challenge. Meanwhile, the solar guys (henceforth TSG) fabricated spacers that match the depth of the corrugated roof. When the bolts are tightened they tighten directly onto the spacers. The corrugations remain uncrushed. The bolts go through a fancy soft ribbed rubber washer, the attachment point, another fancy soft ribbed rubber washer, the spacer which is now filled with silicon, and then into the 5/8" plywood decking and then into the double think blocking. I got tingly just writing about it...